Museum Studies

After my last post about experiencing a lack of motivation and direction, I'm very happy to report that I'm approaching the end of the semester and the start of the next with a renewed interest in majors. I've been researching, talking to advisors and career counsellors, and even had a one on one meeting with Ann Lambson (our teacher for Fostering Creativity!) to explore the world of museum studies. 

I had no idea museums had so many departments and people responsible for what goes on within them. I think it would be wonderful to be part of a team that creates art experiences for people and brings them art and culture they may not otherwise have ever had the chance to see. Museums are community focused and people oriented, and they seem like a field which would perfectly blend my interests in working with people and my passion for art and history. I have always had a strange sense of interest in "behind the scenes" type work as well. Everything from looking at how stage magic is made in theater productions to seeing how orders are packed and shipped in retail warehouses, I'm curious about those processes of how things which we get to enjoy on the surface every day are brought into existence. 

I'm currently applying for lots of internships with museums and being more and more fascinated by the responsibilities of each department. Although many volunteer and internship programs are being put on hold because of COVID there are still lots of exciting opportunities to look forward to in the future! 

This video helped me to get a sense of what departments there are within our very own Denver Art Museum. 



This video introduced me more to the fascinating world of Art Handling. Art handlers are the people who are responsible for packing and transporting often massive, delicate, and priceless works of art so that people around the world can enjoy them at shows. 



Comments