Frida Kahlo

 I'm sure many of us in the College of Arts and Media would agree that art speaks to us on some level. In recent weeks I've really been feeling this way about the works of Frida Kahlo. My friend has been a big fan of Frida for all her life and she originally informed me that the Kahlo exhibition was coming to Denver Art Museum. She asked if I would like to go, and I said I would. At the time, I knew Frida Kahlo's name and face, but I really hadn't seen much of her work and I didn't know anything of her story. 

Since then, we've had the chance to listen to Ann Lambson walk us through her role in setting up the Kahlo exhibit at Denver Art Museum in our Fostering Creativity class. Through this presentation, I learned a lot more about events in Frida's life and the stories behind her artwork. 


After that, my friend and I watched the Frida movie which is on Netflix to kind of "prep" for going to see the exhibit at the museum this week. I expected the movie to be a documentary but it was actually much more like a traditional movie. It is definitely based off of actual events in Frida's life and while I can't speak to the truth that all the movie happenings are entirely accurate, it helped me to understand even more about Frida as a person and what drove her to create such earth shattering works of art. I feel like Frida's message and beautiful artwork has come to me at a particularly important time in my life. Her works really resonate with me, and her creative vision gives me strength. There's no other way to put it really. 

I am ten thousand times more excited to see the Kahlo exhibit this week than I was when I initially accepted my friend's invitation. 

Comments