Meow Wolf Denver

 This post is to reflect on my experience applying for my first Internship though CU Denver! I've never had a professional internship before, so when I got an email from CAM that Meow Wolf is hiring interns for their Denver installation, I couldn't quite believe it. 

For those of you who aren't familiar, Meow Wolf is an immersive art experience. It's arguably the first, after which so many other pop ups like Natura Obscura, and Wonder Wonder have tried to create similar experiences. Immersive art experiences are entirely different from a gallery walkthrough like many are familiar with. Instead of art hanging on the walls or set out around the space to be observed, immersive art aims for the viewer to become part of the art world and have a transformative walkthrough experience. There's lighting, sounds, sometimes smells and tactile sensations, and every inch of the space is used to display art. 



Meow Wolf's 2020 installation in Denver will be its biggest yet. It's going to be a five story tall installation! I applied to be a Production Design Intern, basically as one of the team who helps to fabricate and set up the exhibit. I think this kind of work could translate very well into setting up exhibits in museums one day, and I would absolutely love the chance to work on something as groundbreaking and original as Meow Wolf. 

Applying as an intern was not the easiest process. For one thing, the original deadline for applications was December 1st, so I planned to have lots of time to draft my cover letter and beef up my resume. I initially logged into Handshake on November 13th just to get the Internship Workshop that students have to take before they can apply to internships at CU out of the way, and found the deadline to apply had been moved up...to NOVEMBER 13th! I immediately began scrambling to put my application materials together. Luckily my older sister is an English major, and we met over Zoom to work on my cover letter. We were on the computer for hours! 

It'll be hard to get my hopes up over this internship if it doesn't end up working out because it is a project I'm such a big fan of but I know that I at least worked hard to submit what I could. Now all that's left to do is wait and keep checking to see if I am offered an interview! 

Comments

  1. Lindsey! Did you get an interview! I also applied for this internship. I applied for the Field Art Direction and the Creative Direction positions. I got an interview for the Creative Direction position but still have not heard anything so I don't think I got it. :( I'm so glad you put yourself out there! Let me know if you got an interview!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the internship too and I really wanted to apply, sadly I couldn't because I'm a freshman.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment