Some Thoughts on Next Semester

 I'm looking to the future this week for some inspiration and motivation for the upcoming semester. During final projects for all my classes and in the midst of a move, it can feel very overwhelming to try and plan anything for the future. All the challenges of remote school have made this semester entirely different from any other school experience I've had, and I debated even taking next semester off and trying to wait out this whole pandemic so school could get back to being "normal." However, I decided that 2020 was the year I wanted to go back to school, and putting it off even farther wouldn't do anything to help me. 

I've set some goals for next semester, to help me start off on the right foot. 



1. Organization

I'm usually very organized but this semester has felt like a whirlwind. I was sketching thumbnails for another class and realized that for this whole semester I have been in possession of only two pencils, one with lead but no eraser, and one with an eraser but no lead. That is it, I said to myself. I need to change something. So, I went out and bought a planner, a pretty notebook, and some PENCILS! It was just a silly little step that helped me to feel so much better about next semester having everything in order. 



2. Internship

I am determined to get an internship for next semester. I think gaining experience in a professional field would help me so much to feel like I'm actually accomplishing something for myself this year as so many plans have gone astray. In a previous post I talked about applying to Meow Wolf as an intern, but I'm also looking at several other museum and gallery internships. One is in Ireland where I've always dreamed of traveling to! 



3. Opportunity

I want to say yes to more things (the movie Yes Man comes to mind haha, not quite to that extent). I've been holding myself back from a lot of opportunities by dismissing them before I even put in any effort. I'm very good at telling myself I'm not good enough for something. College however, is the perfect environment to start meeting people and making connections from friendships to professional paths. Next semester I just want to learn more about this school I've started at! 


Comments

  1. Ha! I also just finished moving; that definitely adds another layer to the situation, so I hope it's gone/is going well!
    I love that you have a game plan and have sorted out some key areas for next semester. Setting goals and having them in mind is such a good motivator...plus a plan to stay grounded. This is a really nice way to reinforce that motivation. Best of luck next semester :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I AM OBSESSED with PENS and PENCILS!!!!! Honestly whenever I feel down or stressed I seek out the pen aisle. I want to tell you that I have admired your comments and work all semester in this class. I know you will go on to do great things. Ireland sounds amazing! I can't wait to hear where your dreams take you :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment